A Day on the Bay

Let me tell you, I have the best friends! And I'm not just saying that because we got to spend the whole day on their boat on the Chesapeake bay on a day that couldn't have been better weather-wise. No, I truly believe I have the best friends. The fact that they have a boat and invited us to spend the day with them on a day that couldn't have been better is just a perk! ;-)

Yesterday was such a day. We were invited to join the Durhams on a day boat trip on the Chesapeake Bay. We met early in the morning (okay, so 9am isn't exactly early) and we headed down to North East, MD to launch the boat.

When Leda woke up in the morning and I told her that she needed to get into her bathing suit, she thought we were going to Paige's house to go swimming. I told her no, but we were going to go with Paige on a boat trip and we would fish and that she could swim in the bay. The only time Leda has been on the boat is when we were down the shore, so she was a bit confused by this "bay" stuff. I tried to explain, and I think it worked because she responded to me that she couldn't swim in the bay, because "the fish will bite me." I assured her that no fish would bite her (even though that's probably one of the reasons I will not get into river or lake water - don't want no fish biting me!).

Leda wasn't much of a help in making the first part of the day enjoyable. From the moment she awoke ("I want YOU to make me breakfast, Mommy" - as if I pour the cereal and milk so much better than her father can!) she was one big whine fest. Oh, and now I know why my mother couldn't stand whiners....it is like nails on a chalkboard after the first, oh, I don't know, 1 SECOND OF WHINING!!! And she whined ALL THE WAY TO THE MARINA! Then, she whined some more. While we were waiting for the boat to be prepared and dropped into the water, I had to go use the restroom. I told Leda that we were going to go potty, and oh, the whining hit a whole new level. I had to scold my child in public. Boy, that was fun. "I don't need to go potty, Mommy," over and over and over again. When we finally got to the restroom, who do you think needed to use the potty first? Yep. Not me!

Anyway, we finally got on the boat and things got much better. The girls went down below and watched movies. That's right, a beautiful day on the water and what do our kids want to do, watch movies. And you know what, I don't feel one bit guilty letting them - you know why? Because the whining HAD.FINALLY.STOPPED! Ahhhhhh!

The day, was beautiful. A warm day with a bit of a breeze and not a cloud in the sky. We cruised down to Turkey Point (I think that was the name) where the Elk River comes out into the bay and cruised a bit up Elk River to a little cove where we anchored and had some lunch, and did a bit of fishing (where we proved to Leda there were NO fish in the water, for if there were, we would have caught lots of fish!) and Leda and Paige went swimming with their daddies.

DSC_0198

DSC_0185

After awhile, it was time to turn toward home. Paige indicated she was tired and would probably like a nap on the way back to the marina, whereas Leda announced she wasn't tired at all. We lured them downstairs to watch a movie, whereas both girls fell asleep within 5 minutes of pulling anchor. Yep, not tired at all!

DSC_0212

It was a beautiful day. Did a little boat shopping, too. Saw a few motor boats and sail boats I would be perfectly happy with! We had a lot of fun, and we were all pretty exhausted from all that fun by the time we got home last night! But it was all worth it to spend a beautiful day on the water with great friends!

DSC_0241

Check out more pictures of our beautiful day!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Underground

Second Opinions and Trusting the Process

June will be better