Books

I love books. I love them so much, I find it hard to sign books out at the library because I want so badly to keep them. At least, the ones I really love. Thus the reason I probably should own stock in several bookstores. Really, I could start my own library (even though I have a hard time loaning my books out - I'm terrified I won't get them back. I'll loan anyone anything else before I'll loan out a book. If you've borrowed a book from me, you can count yourself as a really trusted friend!)

I think that Leda has inherited this love of books from me. I don't know how many nights we have gone into her room just before we go to bed to check on her and have found every single book in her room in bed with her! Tucked in under the sheets. In her pillowcase with her pillow - so many of them that she can't even use the pillow because it is surrounded by her books!*

I've taken Leda to bookstores since she was a baby. I love taking her to the bookstore - she gets to pick out a few books and she will follow me around as I look for my books, paging through hers as we go along. She is usually a very well behaved child in just about any store, but I swear she's an angel in a bookstore. She doesn't seem to get anxious to leave - and I can spend a whole day in a bookstore if left to my own devices!

She got books for her birthday and I think she was most excited about the books than she was about anything else (well, except the princesses!) She can still point to any of the books she got for her birthday and will announce that the book was given to her for her birthday. In fact, I think she can point to just about any of her books and tell us where she acquired it from! Remind me to tell you about our kid's memory sometime!

She gets a few books (3-4) read to her every night before she goes to bed. This routine started probably around nine months or so every night. If we are out late (i.e., she doesn't get to bed until 10 or 11 because we were out on a weekend night), she doesn't get a book read, but not for her lack of asking! We've even resorted to taking away bedtime readings as a punishment. It is sometimes the only way to get her to understand what she did was wrong. Time outs are not as effective, believe me.

I only hope that with this much love of books that she grows up to be a good reader and that she always has books. Hopefully she will always have a really big bed and pillow for all the books she'll gather throughout her life! ;-)

*One of these days, I'm gonna have to take a picture of her in bed with all her books.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Underground

Second Opinions and Trusting the Process

So looking forward to a four day weekend!