Hollywood comes to Phoenixville

A few weeks ago, as my boss and I were driving out of town for work, we noticed that the main road into town was going to be shut down during business hours (9-5) late this week.

My boss, who, for the two days I spent riding in his car with him, spent most of the time lamenting about all the bridges in the US that could fall at any moment (didn't make me very comfortable), said it must be to fix the bridge that we had just crossed.

Turns out, it was better than that! M. Night Shyamalan, yes, The Sixth Sense, The Village, Unbreakable, Signs - that M. Night Shyamalan - was going to be filming scenes for his new movie at the 'G' Lodge, a local restaurant that is a fixture in this town (not yet as famous as the Val Rio - the diner from The Blob, but soon, might be!)

Brock and I have never eaten at the Lodge, although I have passed by it hundreds of thousands of times over the 15+ years I have lived in this town and we threaten to go eat there every once in awhile. M. Night Shyamalan is known for filming in his 'own backyard' as he grew up in Philly - in fact, an ex-boss of mine knows Shyamalan - her son went to school with him and occasionally hung out with him way back when. I bet I could figure out how I am six-degrees from Kevin Bacon with that connection!

Anyway, it's pretty exciting around here - there's reports and pictures in the paper - one of Mark Wahlberg from yesterday, who is starring in the film. It's been reported in the paper that John Leguizamo is also in town because he's in the film too - I'm more impressed by him than Wahlberg - something about Leguizamo (other than the fact his name sounds cool - I can't pronounce it, but it sounds cool!) that I really like - He was on ER for several episodes, but I think I remember him best from his role in Moulin Rouge and To Wong Foo, Thanks for Everything! Julie Newmar. And Betty Buckley (you know, the step mom from Eight is Enough) is also in the movie and in town. Weird!

So tonight I decided I needed to go buy some books (whole other post - I just can't get my head back into Helen of Troy, so I needed to pick up some new books!) and I headed out to Barnes and Noble. I decided to take Rt 23 instead of the back way, just because it was late in the evening, no real traffic.

Well, I guess they were just wrapping up filming for the day because wow, all the cars parked up and down the road, all the people milling around, probably waiting to see if they could catch a glimpse of someone famous. All the STUFF - the contraptions that they have rigged up outside the Lodge - which for the movie has been renamed the Filbert! It was pretty weird - Hollywood in our neck of the woods.

Nope, I didn't see anyone famous, but it was getting dark and I was busy paying attention to the road and all the people hanging around. But it was neat! Maybe we will sneak by there tomorrow - they are supposed to film all day tomorrow.

Look for the 'G' Lodge dressed as the Filbert when M. Night Shyamalan's movie "The Happening" comes out next year. That's our town! Cool!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Underground

Second Opinions and Trusting the Process

So looking forward to a four day weekend!