Recovering

The past week has been interesting!

Coming back from vacation always is interesting, but coming back from a vacation AND a major illness is on a level all it's own!

The antibiotics that the doctor prescribed me have kicked whatever virus-or-bacteria-that-ruined-my-vacation's butt, but I was informed that it could take up to a month to fully recover from a bout of pneumonia. What sucks is, that means I have to suffer through the most annoying of all symptoms, the coughing. What helps is, the doctor prescribed me good cough medicine for nighttime and some good stuff to get me through the day! And, I got refills!

The only other "symptoms" I have from the pneumonia is walking around the house, up and down stairs, exerting myself just a little bit gets me tired! Walking out to the mail box and back gets me winded. I feel like I have a three-pack-a-day habit, and I haven't had a cigarette in over three years!

In any case, I appear to be getting better. Which is good, since we are scheduled to go to the Police concert this Friday in Hershey. My sister and brother-in-law saw them in Tampa Bay last Wednesday and said it was awesome! I am really looking forward to it. I just hope I can hang all night long! Not that I plan on drinking a lot, but I would like to be able to get up out of my seat and dance once in a while!

The past week back from vacation has brought us sleeping issues...not for Brock and I so much, but for Leda. Leda has fought us tooth-n-nail when going to bed every night since last Monday night. Not exactly sure what the issue is, we assume that she is not happy about sleeping in her OWN bed now that she had spent a whole week sleeping in a King-size bed with Mommy and Daddy. And here I thought she would want to convert her crib to a big-girl bed - no, she wants MY bed! At least that is what we originally thought, now we just aren't sure if it's that or the terrible two's rearing it's really ugly head!

So we are going through the cry-it-out (CIO) process again. It sucks though, Leda is much more vocal, the screaming is blood-curdling at times, and the temper-tantrums are ridiculous! Monday night we had THREE HOURS of screaming and crying - of course, that was mostly our fault because we kept going into her room. The rest of the week, it last about an hour each bedtime! Which is just crazy. There isn't anything wrong with her, she just doesn't want to sleep in her crib. Each time she was asked what was wrong on Monday night, she had a boo-boo on her knee (it was kissed, but nothing there), on her foot (again, kissed, but nothing there), on her elbow (same!), on her fingers (ditto!). At one point, she told me she was scared, I asked her of what, she replied, "the cookie monster." She pointed to one of her stuffed bears as the "cookie monster" culprit and he is now sitting in my office. Where she got the idea that she should be afraid of the cookie monster, I haven't a clue. She doesn't really watch Sesame Street a lot!

Over the weekend she refused to take naps! You can imagine we didn't have a very cooperative child during the daylight hours! We lost count of the time-outs. This evening, as we waited for dinner, I watched her put a diaper on her baby doll, then put her in "bed" and then scream at her to "go to bed NOW!" over and over again. Okay, yes, in frustration, I think one or both of us may have sternly told her to "go to bed NOW!" once or twice during the past week, but not two inches from her face and not at the top of our lungs and not over and over again. The kid is just a drama queen in training!

We were hoping it was just a phase, but as I write, the child is in her room right now, after being bathed, teeth brushed, hair dried, read to and binky-fied, screaming her head off. I wonder how much money this is going to cost me in her therapy.

We also had a bit of a scare with Duff. On Thursday, Brock noticed that his eye was not looking good, that he had some discharge coming from it, so he made an vet appointment for him for Friday evening. The vet took a look at his eye and told us he had a scratch or ulcer on his cornea and that we needed to keep an eye on it and put some drops in his eye several times throughout the weekend and bring him in on Tues. If the eye didn't appear to be getting any better or got worse, we were to call the vet immediately.

Well, that was a little scary. So we took Duff home and started putting the drops in his eye and attempted to keep him from scratching it! By Sunday morning, Brock had gone off to work and I had to take over putting the drops in his eye (I get very squeamish about eye stuff!) I found that his eye was so swollen on Sunday morning that I could barely get it open to put the drop in. I conferred with Brock who told me he had the same problem, so called the vet and ended up with an 'emergency' visit at 9:30am. The vet was shocked when he looked in Duff's eye - he ended up pulling out about an inch to an inch and a half long piece of grass seed pod out of my dog's eye! Something he said was under the third eyelid and probably got worked free enough because of the drops that he finally saw it because he didn't see it on Friday night! Duff's eye was almost immediately better. Thank goodness we got that out of his eye! He's a TON better now!

As a family we have decreed, that only one entity of the family is allowed to be sick/hurt at a time. Too much drama!

Hopefully this week gets better. Like I mentioned, we are looking forward to the concert on Friday and we are thinking of heading to the shore for Saturday and Sunday (Leda keeps asking if she can "go to the beach?" We keep telling her this weekend she can!) We'll see if we can figure out a way to get the kid to go to sleep better by then!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Underground

Second Opinions and Trusting the Process

June will be better