On a book kick

I've been on a book kick as of late.

Can't seem to get enough reading. Which is a good thing and a bad thing - I probably spent way too much time reading the past week than I should have. But it's been so long since I have really WANTED to read.

I go through waves. I can go months (lots of months) without wanting to pick up a book. I mean, it's like I am allergic to them. I just have no interest what-so-ever. I even force myself sometimes but just can't muster the energy to read.

So when I get into these moods when all I want to do is read, I tend to fall into it pretty hard.

In the past week, I've read two really good books. At least, I thought they were pretty good.

The Widow of the South by Robert Hicks is a novel based on historical events surrounding the Battle of Franklin, one of the last battles of the Civil War. The story centers around Carrie McGavock who's home has been commandeered by the Confederate Army as a hospital for the wounded from the battle waging in town. She cares for the sick and wounded and eventually decides it is her place to ensure that the dead have a final, peaceful resting place.

I've placed Franklin, Tennessee on my list of places I want to go to. The McGavocks really existed and their home is a museum now.

The other book I read this week, well, in the past three days(!!) is My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult. Wow. It was recommended on another blog I read and so I picked it up at the store on Sunday. Wow. I just finished reading it after dinner - it was a "can't put this down until I've finished it" book. I couldn't. It is a story about a young girl who was conceived as her sister's bone marrow match as her older sister has leukemia. It was such a good read. And, if you plan to pick it up, make sure you have dozens of tissues close by. The ending will get you.

I've decided that Jodi Picoult is someone I've got to read more of. The story was captivating and really reeled me in. I wasn't quite prepared for the ending (although I thought I was - I LOVE books/authors who do that to me - make me THINK I know what is coming and then just totally blow me away!). I highly recommend it!

All in all, it's been a good winter for reading. I've read some pretty good books.

Lisey's Story, by Stephen King (Good read. I love me some King, but lately I've found his books lacking a bit. This one was pretty good!)

Little Children, Tom Perrotta (Another good book. The ending seemed a bit abrupt at first, but I guess it's because it was the way it had to end)

Cross, James Patterson (We finally learn how Alex Cross lost his wife. Not sure if I liked this one as much as I usually like a good James Patterson book. It was good, but felt like an ending, and I am not sure I am ready to give up Alex Cross yet!)

Step on a Crack, James Patterson (New character - liked the book, wondering if he plans to write more about this character. He's no Alex Cross, but I kinda liked him!)

Hiding My Candy, The Lady Chablis (If you saw/read Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil, then you KNOW who The Lady Chablis is! You know, when I first saw the movie, it was, of course, after I read the book, and I was stunned. I thought, that is EXACTLY who I would have gotten to play that character. Turns out, she WAS the character. This is a book she wrote after the book and movie had come out about herself and how she became The Lady Chablis.

There were a few others in there, but these were the ones I could remember! I still have Night by Elie Wiesel to read - but not sure I am ready for that type of material just yet. I also have Sex and the City by Candace Bushnell to read - I started it, but couldn't quite get into it the night I started to read it. And I picked up Children of Men by P.D. James. And, it seems, I might be going out and getting me some more Jodi Picoult!

We'll see how long my book kick lasts when the weather starts getting nicer!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Second Opinions and Trusting the Process

Underground

June will be better