Scared

Tonight, Brock and I got the biggest scare of Leda's short life. She fell down the steps.

Yes, you heard me. She fell down the steps. Those three steps I mentioned before that lead from the great room to the dining room. She fell down those steps.

How could she fall down those steps, that have a gate guarding the child from being able to access the steps in order to fall down them, you ask?

Some how, the gate didn't latch.

How could she fall down those steps when someone HAD to be watching her at all times, you ask?

Mama had to use the bathroom and Daddy was on the phone. Mama thought the gate was latched, as did Daddy, and she left the room for a quick relief break. Usually the room is secure enough to allow this to happen.

What I heard next I don't think I will ever forget...the thump, thump, thump of my child falling down those darned steps. I was to her before she started to cry, but to see my child lying at the bottom of those steps, in obvious shock at what had just happened to her, I mean, geez, how could those grownups possibly have let this happen to her? I will see that image for the rest of my life.

She cried, I cried, Brock fell trying to get to both of us. It was panic and chaos for the next few seconds...we checked all the limbs for any obvious breaks, looked to see that she had all her teeth, examined for any bleeding. Within seconds, the kid was tired of our examination, she pushed her way down to the floor and was off to play with the nearest toy, "da da"ing and "ga ga"ing and laughing through the tears left on her face. I broke down.

She's fine. Absolutely fine. A little bruise on the side of her cheek, but other than that, not a mark on her. We will never be so lucky again.

The gate, well, it takes us about three minutes now to close the darn thing, to make sure it's latched, ah, check again, okay, nope, check again.

Well, at least we got that out of the way. We were waiting for something to happen with those steps. We have no idea how it happened exactly, how she fell down the steps (on her butt or on her head - but we are pretty sure it was probably her butt), but we are pretty darn sure it's the grown-ups' fault. And, another reason to not take your eye off the kid! And, ALWAYS make sure that darned gate is latched!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Underground

Second Opinions and Trusting the Process

So looking forward to a four day weekend!