March Madness

Ugh, what a month this has been. Gave December 2021 a run for its money! 

I may have mentioned before, the tumor in my right breast started to grow to the point it was uncomfortably noticeable - in early March, my oncologist ordered an ultrasound to see what was happening and it so happens, it was progression of the disease.

I met with the doctor the next day and while concerned, she felt that we really hadn't had a chance to let the drugs take hold and start to do something - she felt it WAS doing something due to the drop in my WBC/neutrophil counts, so she wanted to give it 2 months to see what we see. So, felt better.

Started 2nd round if Ibrance after three weeks off from first round (due to neutrophil counts!) with orders to get blood work after week 2 and after week 3. 

After week 2, and getting my bloodwork back, the Dr called. She asked if I was seeing much change in my breast (I wasn't) and indicated she was worried, that the Ibrance wasn't working, the hormone therapy wasn't working and we may need to go to Chemotherapy. Well, not the news I was looking to hear. 

So scans were scheduled for this week and a visit to the Dr. this morning to review - good news! While I do have progression in my right breast and lymph nodes, my bones look the same or better and there is no progression to any other organs (liver, lungs and kidney are the concern at this point). 

So new plan....stay on Ibrance, switch from anastrozole to Falodex (oral pill to shot, bummer!) and scans in 6 weeks to see where we are. The hope is my breast progression will shrink a bit and we will see no other progression - and I think the idea is if that is the case, then Ibrance is working and I'll stay on it.

If that doesn't work, we do have the possibility of one of two clinical trials that will involve chemotherapy but also immunotherapy (a phase 2 and phase 3 trials) - so we have options!

So, 6 weeks, let's see what we get! Right now, I am actually feeling good...gonna start walking (because I am too tired to go swimming in the evening! If I can get back some energy, and sleep, I'll try morning swims a few days a week!).

Speaking of sleep - the Dr. has perscribed me a drug to help with nightsweats so I can try to get some additional sleep at night! That would be most awesome!!!!

So, will try to keep updated over the next couple of weeks. Trying to hype myself up after this morning....give me a few days/weeks to get out of the funk! ;-)

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Second Opinions and Trusting the Process

Underground

June will be better